In an effort to increase the awareness of veterinary students about the role of veterinarians in beekeeping, the Veterinary Feed Directive, and to generate more interest in the discipline, the HBVC is recognizing the formation of Student Chapters of the HBVC (SHBVC) at individual veterinary schools.
The HBVC will recognize domestic and international veterinary student honey bee veterinary medicine clubs according to the following criteria:
• Accreditation by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
• Submission of a letter of support from an on-site faculty advisor (from the College of Veterinary Medicine or Entomology).
• Submission of a Constitution and Bylaws for approval. (See sample constitution and bylaws here)
• Contact information for current officers and advisors.
• Submission of a SHBVC Annual Report by September 8th each year.
Application materials should be submitted to the HBVC Student Chapter Committee Chair, Amy Franklin. Once your club has been approved, the SHBVC President is responsible for registering the chapter as a student organization with your university’s Student Union.
Benefits of SHBVC Membership
- HBVC speakers to present at SHBVC meetings. Based on availability, Zoom may be the only option. Request a speaker here (coming soon!)
- The use of “Student Chapter of the Honey Bee Veterinary Consortium” as a club name.
- A Facebook page (coming soon) for Student Chapter members to connect and discuss the latest honey bee news.
- Have your Chapter featured in the HBVC Newsletter. We love to hear from HBVC Student Chapters! Email Gregory Lewbart and tell us about your Chapter’s latest activities.
- Student Award for Excellence in Honey Bee Veterinary Medicine. Students who receive this award will be entered into a drawing to receive complementary registration to attend the HBVC annual conference. Read more and apply here.(coming soon!)
Student Chapter Contacts (coming soon!)
Below is a listing of the Student Chapters of the HBVC approved to date and their current faculty advisors with links to chapter web pages where applicable.